Donde esta mi carro?

I'm having a little sulk, down here in Ushuaia, as, in spite of all my best laid plans, which included taking Modestine to be shipped, extra early, at the beginning of September, she is STILL in Buenos Aires. I am cross, because she arrived there on the 11th October, and I was told she would be in Ushuaia before me. Huh! so much for that. So now I have to sit here and wait, and spend my time altering, or cancelling, bookings for my journey, and hoping that my new best friend, Osvaldo, is telling the truth when he assures me she will arrive in the port on Sunday. Osvaldo is the agent who will facilitate what I hope will be a speedy passage through the formalities, to allow me to finally head northwards, and I think he realises that I might cry if he fails me! - that, or I'll kidnap his sausage dog, and hold it to ransom in exchange for one 2cv!

Ushuaia, it would be fair to say, is not usually a place for lingering - think Mallaig, with penguins. Most people spend a couple, or three, days here, before heading back up-country, or boarding a ship to Antarctica, but I think they are missing a trick. Those of you who know me well, will know that I am not good at sitting still, or doing nothing, so the prospect of a week, or more, here, gave me a fit of the vapours, but - now that I'm settled in - I'm wondering if I'll have enough time to fit in everything that I want to do. Yesterday I hiked in the Tierra del Fuego National Park, through beautiful, ancient woodland, beside a sparkling sea. Driftwood, kelp, no empty plastic bottles on these shores, and - of course - a token penguin, and all with a snowy mountain backdrop. Today I walked up to the glacier, although I'm not sure if I saw it, as everywhere was covered in snow. The final pull, up a very steep scree slope, required hands as well as feet, but the view over the Beagle Channel was well worth the effort, and getting down again, unscathed, was a bonus! Tomorrow is Estancia Harberton - the first settlement here, after the missionaries had done meddling with the locals, and I have more walks planned for Friday and Saturday. Sunday will find me on the jetty, like a lovelorn, long lost fisherman's wife, waiting for the Perito Moreno to dock. Bet it doesn't.....

I have my own little flat, in the Hostel de la Posta, the sun is shining, the wind is howling, and I have lots to look forward to - if only I had my little car here too.....




Comments

  1. It all sounds so brilliant - with or without the car, it’s such fun following your adventure. Hold the faith! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts