the final countdown......

Since my first attempt at a blog crept into public view, quite a lot has happened, and the date is fast approaching for me to say goodbye to BH., leaving the dog, the cats, the doves, and the hens, in the tender care of sailors Rob and Rhian, who are coming to look after them,  whilst I navigate my way up South America

Modestine spent two weeks in Millom, in the expert hands of the Cumbrian 2cv maestro, Ian Hudson, who is nothing short of a genius (if only Mrs Hudson would let him come with me.....)  Ian has comprehensively fettled the car, and sorted out all the spare parts I could ever need. I am equipped with a list of "things to do after 3000 miles" and the kit to facilitate this, including a grease gun, with - as yet - no grease, but when I get some I can "grease the king pins" - I do hope I can remember where Ian said they were! 

Thus prepared, and with all the spares packed in under the wooden floor that has replaced the back seat; on the 3rd September, I faced the ultimate test for any driver: the Ms 6, 42, 40, and 25, on a wet Sunday afternoon, which also happened to be the last day of the school holidays. Nothing I encounter in South America could be worse than that! With Modestine safely locked away, at Bespoke Handlers, parked next to a very smart McClaren something or other, I headed for home

I must admit, on receiving a photo of her in her container, I felt really quite emotional, and when I saw a picture of the truly massive ship she is on, piled high with identical boxes, I wondered if I would ever see her again! She has now arrived in Buenos Aires, so I hope they remember to post her on to Ushuaia! 

Back home, B and B continues, but my mind is on hostels and maps, routes and distances, and trying to remember everything I need to take with me, including decanting the all important damson gin, into a leakproof bottle. Puffin is now "la perrita" and no longer the "ducking fog"! as I try to increase my spanish vocabulary. It is a case of too little, too late, but - if I could buy a turkey, in Makro, in Santa Marta, last Christmas, with zero spanish, and only a liberal use of mime and sound effects - then I will be fine

So, on Saturday the 28th October, I leave for Argentina, and won't be home until the 2nd February. Ahead of me lies around 6500 miles of road - some of it rutted, some of it gravel, and some of it - mercifully - tarmac; passing by monkey puzzle forests, salt pans, deserts, glaciers, condors, llamas, geysers, coffee plantations, volcanoes, and jungle. I can't wait 

For those of you who have read to the end without dying of boredom, and who want to know a rough itinerary, here it is:

November:     Argentina and Chile - 3 weeks of it with Ben, including Easter Island

December:     on my own now - more Chile, then - poss - Bolivia, Peru - Machu Picchu,                                                
                       Lima, and a flight to Colombia for Christmas and New Year with Ben

January:         the final leg from Lima, north through Ecuador, into Colombia, El Rio, and - 
                       we hope - Punta Gallinas

February:        Cartagena and back into a container, for Modestine, and Broughton House 
                       for me

Comments

  1. Our '56 Ripple and '89 Red Special are both verrrrry jealous!
    Good luck, bon voyage.... and may Pierre Boulanger watch over you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts