Things to do in Ushuaia when you're stuck!

So, we all know about the best laid plans......

Ever the optimist, I believed it when I was told my car would arrive here before me, if I sent it off early enough. Turns out that isn't true. Having sat on a Buenos Aires dockside for three weeks, and then - after finally being loaded onto a boat - sitting on an anchor in the River Plate for another five nights, I was told she would arrive on the 4th November; no, the 5th; well, actually, the 6th. So, naturally, she arrived last night, on the 7th., as darkness fell

I went down to the docks this morning, full of hope, and stood staring pathetically, through the wire fencing, as Hamburg Sud containers started to appear, none of them with my number on them. Dictionary in hand, I collared the man with the clipboard, who was delighted to inform me that my container was somewhere in the bilges of the Perito Moreno, with lots of containers on top of it, and it would be ages before it saw the light of day

So I cried. Then I went to see Osvaldo, and cried. He stuck me in with two Frenchmen, who were waiting for thirteen motorbikes. So I cried some more. They told me to lie on the grass, and pretend I was up in a hot air balloon, looking down at my problem, which would seem much smaller from up there. I wanted to slap them! Then I cried. Then I rang my lovely son, and he cheered me up, so I stopped crying

Things to do in Ushuaia when you're stuck:

Do all the walks in the Tierra del Fuego National Park - tick
Walk to the Glacier Martial viewpoint - tick
Buy a ridiculously expensive gas stove, and an equally ridiculously cheap compass - tick
Hire a car and try - and eventually succeed - in finding Estancia Harberton - tick
Visit the museums and read EVERY information panel - tick
Eat King Crab - tick
Walk up to Lago Esmeralda, through enough peat to make Islay envious - tick
Go for a boat ride on the Beagle Channel - tick

Have a good cry because you've run out of things to do, and you STILL haven't got a 2cv - tick

BUY WINE - keep calm, and drink it - that's tonight's project, I'm afraid....

Manana is - after all - another dia


Comments

Popular Posts